ASTM is an international standards organization that is located in the United States of America. The purpose it was introduced to the industry is to publish technical standard agreements for various materials, product, systems and others. Among the ASTM standards that are often use in the industry is ASTM D198.
ASTM D198 Test Standard
Description For ASTM D198
ASTM D198 contains several test methods to evaluate the physical properties of various wood structural members including sawn lumber, glue laminated timbers, composite lumber, pre-fabricated I-joists, and others. Test methods within the specification include flexure, compression, tension, and torsion testing. The flexure method within ASTM D198 is one of the most popular test methods.
In this test, a structural wood member is support at its ends while a flexure load is either apply in the center, or at two points located equidistant from the supporting locations. The structural member, usually a straight or a slightly cambered beam of rectangular cross section, is subjected to a bending moment by supporting it near its ends, at locations called reactions, and applying transverse loads symmetrically imposed between these reactions. The beam is deflected at a prescribed rate, and coordinate observations of loads and deflections are made until rupture occurs.
Specimen For ASTM D198
Grips For ASTM D198
- Bend fixture
Bend fixtures are use to determine the flexural properties of rigid and semi-rigid materials. They are available in a variety of capacities, support diameter and widths, spans, and 3 or 4 point configurations.
Type of UTM machine
We recommend using UTM machines with a capacity of 5kN-600kN. It depends on the strength of the materials. We also recommend using dual-column types.
The machine is design by mechanical-electrical integration, the composition of the force-measuring Sensor, transmitter, microprocessor, mechanism of load drive, computer and color inkjet printer. The high-precision electronic motor can be set to five-speed, the components are connect by plug-way, Floor-standing models, it is taken account of modern industrial design and ergonomics in modelling and Coating.
The implementation of standards and standard configuration:
- GB/T4689.20-1996 Measuring fastness of leather’s adhesion
- QB/T2710-2005 Measuring leather’s expansion and the rate of elongation
- QB/T2711-2005 measuring tear force of leather
- QB/T2712-2005 measuring leather’s strength and stretch of spherical crack test
- Prepare your test specimen in accordance with the standard, noting all relevant histories of the treatment, conditioning, etc. of the wood specimen that could affect its strength.
- Adjust the flexure fixture in accordance with the specimen size and desired purpose of the testing. Center point loading, and third-point loading are both available options.
- Insert the test specimen into the flexure fixture.
- Apply the flexure load to the specimen at the constant rate of speed defined in the standard.
- Continue the test until failure, while recording load & deflection data at first failure, maximum load, and other points of sudden change.
- Modulus of Rupture
- Apparent Modulus of Elasticity
- Various Others