ASTM is an international standards organization that is located in the United States of America. The purpose it was introduced to the industry is to publish technical standard agreements for various materials, product, systems and others. Among the ASTM standards that are often use in the industry is ASTM D3043.
ASTM D3043 Test Standard
Description For ASTM D3043
ASTM D3043 is an international test standard design for covers several procedures for testing the flexural properties of structural panels , These panels can be of different materials use to form plane structures such as floors, walls and ceilings. These materials can include plywood, particle board, strand board, veneer composites, and other wood type materials.
There are several test methodsincluding Test Method A which is a 3 point bend test with Center-Point Flexure. Method B is a 4 point test with Two-Point Flexure in the middle of the board. Method C is a Pure Moment Test also known as a two point bend test. Finally, Method D specifies a flexure test for QA/QC where the test board is not testto failure.
- Method A, Center-Point Flexure Test—,This method is applicable to material that is uniform with respect to elastic and strength properties. Total deflection, and modulus of elasticity computed from it, include a relatively constant component attributable to shear deformation.
- Method B, Two-Point Flexure Test—,This method, like Method A, is suited to the investigation of factors that influence strength and elastic properties uniformly throughout the panel, in controlled studies, and to testing small, defect free control specimens cut from large specimens tested by Method C. However, it may be use to determine the effects of finger joints, veneer joints and gaps, and other features which can be place entirely between the load points and whose effects can be projected readily to full panel width.
- Method C, Large Panel Test—,This method is ideally suited for evaluating effects of knots, knot-holes, areas of sloping grain, and patches for their effect on standard full-size panels. It is equally well suited for testing uniform or clear material whenever specimen size is adequate. Specimen size and span above certain minimums are quite flexible. It is preferred when equipment is available.
- Method D, Flexure Test for Quality Assurance—, This method, like Method A, is well suited to the investigation of factors that influence bending strength and stiffness properties. Also like Method A, this method uses small specimens in a center-point simple span test configuration. This method uses a span to depth ratio, specimen width, test fixture and test speed that make the method well suited for quality assurance. The method is frequently use for quality assurance testing of oriented strand board.
Specimen For ASTM D3043
Grips For ASTM D3043
- 3-pnt fixture
A 3 or 4 point bend testing jig may be use to perform the respective test. The diagram shows a 3-point bending test setup. The 3-point bending jig was mounted on an electromechanical material testing machine.
The 3-point bending jig is an easy-to-use fixture that relies on the test machine to maintain alignment between the top and bottom parts. The 3-point test is use mainly for elastic and ductile materials.
Type of UTM Machine
We recommend using UTM machines with a capacity of 5kN-600kN. It depends on the strength of the materials. We also recommend using dual-column types.
- VEW 2308
The machine is design by mechanical-electrical integration, the composition of the force-measuring Sensor, transmitter, microprocessor, mechanism of load drive, computer and color inkjet printer. The high-precision electronic motor can be set to five-speed, the components are connect by plug-way, Floor-standing models, it is taken account of modern industrial design and ergonomics in modelling and Coating. It can be test with all the materials in the stretch, compression, bending, shear, embedded relay, Peeling. tearing, crack, etc, such as rubber, plastics, leather, metal, nylon wire, fabric, paper, aerospace, packaging, construction, petrochemical, electrical, vehicle, etc.
The implementation of standards and standard configuration:
- GB/T4689.20-1996 Measuring fastness of leather’s adhesion
- QB/T2710-2005 Measuring leather’s expansion and the rate of elongation
- QB/T2711-2005 measuring tear force of leather
- QB/T2712-2005 measuring leather’s strength and stretch of spherical crack test
Test Procedure For ASTM D3043
- Prepare the specimens as describe in the test method.
- Adjust the flexure fixture to fit the specimen size and desired purpose of the testing. Center point loading, and quarter-point loading are both available options.
- Insert the test specimen into the flexure fixture.
- Mount the specimen in the loading fixture as specified in the standard. Selection of the proper fixture span, supports, and loading nose will depend on specimen size and condition.
- Apply load to the specimen at the rate of speed calculated from the equation in the standard.
- Record load vs. deflection data during the test and continue loading until failure, if desired.
- Apparent Modulus of Elasticity0
- Modulus of Rupture